Call us today
Edmonton Family Law Firm

Arranging Parental Access And Parenting Plans

Every child is entitled to spend time with his or her parents. In most situations, the courts support arrangements that maximize parenting time for both parents.

My name is Brian Carriere. My firm has helped families understand that access and parenting time are separate issues from disputes surrounding child custody. Based in Edmonton, Alberta, I have advocated for non-custodial parents to receive reasonable access rights to their child. I have also advocated for non-parents, such as grandparents, to have contact with their grandchild or child otherwise related to them.

The Access Parent

Access focuses on the rights of the non-custodial parent to spend time with his or her child. The courts prefer if the parents can reach an agreement on their own regarding access, as it’s more likely they will stick to a decision if they created the terms.

Access is granted on a case-by-case basis, but some general considerations include:

  • Supervised visits
  • The health and mental capacity of the access parent
  • The ages of the children
  • The distance between the access parent and the custodial parent

If an agreement cannot be reached, I will provide you with the legal advice and support to present a fair and reasonable plan for parental access to the courts.

Parenting Plans

Parenting arrangements, also known as parenting plans, outline shared duties parents have agreed to regarding access, and how they intend to communicate future arrangements going forward.

Parents are encouraged to come with their own agreements for their child regarding:

  • Sharing holidays and weekends
  • Extra-curricular activities
  • Pick-up and drop-offs
  • Vacations and visits with extended family and friends
  • Travelling outside of the country with the child

These shared arrangements are generally favoured by the courts as they encourage a meaningful relationship between the child and both parents. I can help you arrange a parenting plan that takes into consideration your concerns as well as the agreed-upon access for your ex-spouse.

Find Out How I Can Help

Call Carriere Law Office toll-free at 780-809-3316 and find out how I can help you with child access issues and parenting plans. You can also contact me using my online form to arrange a meeting.